View Single Post
Old 02-14-2012, 02:30 PM   #115 (permalink)
gsxr750
Enthusiast Member

Drives: 2012 370z man. sport
gsxr750 will become famous soon enough

Its really hard to believe individual claims of vast improvements in speed power or accelleration for the CAI KITS, (humans are not biological engine dynos), unless your a "Terminator" under that skin.

So most of these claims are very subjective from individual to individual.

I would only go by actual proven dyno charts by reputable manufactures and private claims.

From what I discovered from different dyno posting here and other online sources, these cold air intake kits only really make 5-9 hp and with the addition of a good free flowing racing exhaust you could get it up to 10-15 hp.

The real problem is that there really is no magical cheap bolt on way to increase HP considerably, out side of TURBO CHARGING or NITROUS OXIDE and both of these effect engine life and reliability.

So if you PPL talk to any reputable engine or true performance shops that really road race or build cars and engines for winning racers and winning teams. They will tell there is no magic or bolt quick way to HP gains, the simple truth is that the engine needs to come apart pistons, cams, valves, head work, rods, stroking etc. Then along with some quality air intake kits and racing exhaust or turbo charging them, if necessary for the particular application.

You really can't trust to many of these little performance shops that just get a small rental building and buy a dyno. Then start doing all these simple bolt on mods and charging ppl for the dyno runs, along with the part sales and installation. Along side their 21" rim. tire selections and window tint.

Some of these small shops may know what they are doing , but most probably have little or no real world experience building or tunning engines.

You really want to find a shop that builds engines or sets up cars for most of the top regional racers etc. These shops can be found by going to a local track day event or getting a pit pass to some top amatuer events, most of the racers and mechanics will be glaid to share info on who to go to for the best work.

So in my opinion these current bolt on CAI and Cat back exhausts are just the new form of "Snake Oil " being sold to the young new car buyers.

If you have a few extra dollars and want to do something usefull for your 370z, then get a good clear car bra installed and some quality protective seat covers or leather seat upgrade.

Heres what I did, Nano Fusion Clear Bra on most of the cars front end and exposed panels,window tint and a set of Cover King ballistic black seat covers to protect the seats. Total cost $1000 for everything.

Last edited by gsxr750; 02-14-2012 at 02:52 PM.