View Single Post
Old 02-14-2012, 11:49 AM   #113 (permalink)
Speedy
Enthusiast Member

Drives: check my signature
Speedy will become famous soon enough

Having just bought a Z I've been looking over the forum to see what you guys have found that works. This is a pretty good thread.

One thing to consider is the Z is a MAF based system. It can and will adjust to bolt on mods without a tune. That's why you guys see 20HP gains with CBE or CAI. It is true that it's not cumulative. You may see 18HP from the cat back, or the CAI by itself, but if you add one to the other you won't see 36HP gains. I'd wager 5-10 more only.

My Challenger is MAP based. That means it does NOT adjust for mods. I did in depth testing on that car, and dyno'd it bone stock, bolts on a cat back as it sat on the dyno, dyno'd that, then added a CAI, and dyno'd that. It gained about 12HP TOTAL. The AFR never changed much however. The CAI looked great though.

I later built the motor and added a supercharger. I dyno'd that with the stock air box, then again with a modified CAI to fit. It picked up 30HP and needed a tune tweak to add fuel.

I went all out on this Challenger and it's scary fast. For the Z I just want a peppy daily driver and it's been a fun car the past 600 miles.

I've been eyeballing the FI CBE, and looks like going with some drop in filters and air tubes is the best bang for the buck on the intake side.

My goal is to hit 12s in the car at the drag strip eventually without too much money tied up in it.

My car came with a CPO 100K warranty. How is Nissan with cat backs and CAIs regarding that? Dodge like to void everybody's warranty at the drop of a hat. Not like I cared on that car, but on my Z I do since it's my DD.