View Single Post
Old 02-13-2012, 07:38 PM   #12 (permalink)
Obsidian
Base Member

Drives: 2007 S2000
Obsidian is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by svmtbman View Post
I went from a 2007 S2000 to my Z and I'm happy with my choice. While the S was a fun car the Z is just as much fun. The extra power, room, and technology is an added bonus. I will always miss my S but don't regret my choice at all. There is another thread on here with the same discussion, search and you will find some good conversation about the topic.
Cool, I will look for it thanks. Yeah I know I will miss it, it's the best car I've ever owned. Had an '05 Evo VIII before the S and while it was much faster and had more grip ... it was not nearly as fun. I am sort of envisioning the Z as somewhere between S2000 and Evo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red__Zed View Post
OK, so I'm back with a real keyboard and some time.

Pharmacist's write up is pretty much spot on in terms of addressing the Z's oil/reliability, etc.

105* exterior temps on mountain roads will likely have you right around limp mode on a 09-11, you should be fine with a '12 though.

As far the fun to drive factor-- that is up to you. The Z and S feel like two totally different animals. The S is far more connected. It transmits a whole lot more detail about what it is doing.

Even with you owning the "softest" of the s2k's, I think you will find the Z is even softer. It rides much more like the GT car it is--relative to the S, it is very compliant and a comfortable cruiser. The Z is much more prone to understeer at the limit, and generally handles "safe," in contrast with the more natural handling of the S.

Things to think about when considering the trade:
Losing shifter smoothness
Rougher engine up top
Looser connection with the car
Loss of droptop (depending on whether you get ZR)
loss of a mechanical LSD (VLSD is )

It is really up to you whether you want to lose those things, in exchange for:
More comfort
roomier interior
notably more power
(arguably) better looks
and of course-- it's a new car
Nice. Thanks for the info. Yes I'm going to hate giving up the feel of the S' handling but time for a new car I think. I've read a lot lately on the Z's and it's funny the things the reviews complain about like comfort, interior space, noise and visibility are all greatly improved over the S2000 (visibility with the top up on the S of course).

Well the dealer still has not called with my Z, so I have time to think about it ... I did warn them I may change my mind if the took too long, LOL.
Obsidian is offline   Reply With Quote