View Single Post
Old 02-13-2012, 12:45 PM   #2 (permalink)
Pharmacist
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 09 370z Sport 6MT
Pharmacist is a jewel in the roughPharmacist is a jewel in the roughPharmacist is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsidian View Post
I am most likely trading in my 2007 S2000 for a 2012 370Z with sport package ... just waiting for the car to arrive at the dealer.

I am just a little apprehensive about letting go of my S2000 so I'm interested in an honest comparison of the two cars from anyone that's owned both. Pluses, minuses, any regrets (LOL)?

I know the obvious HP/speed difference. How is the handing and fun to drive factor in comparison? Test drove the Z twice but no real twisty roads to wring it out on.

How is maintenance, reliability, etc? Are the oil problems fixed on the '12's or do I need to worry about it? I don't track but I do a lot of spirited canyon drives ... is the Z going to withstand being pushed on mountain roads at 105 degrees in summer? Thanks.
i owned a 370z and test drove an s2000. just like you said, one of the biggest difference is linear acceleration. any s2000 without forced induction is quite "slow" by today's standards. the z will have much more power and torque, meaning you won't have to shift as much and floor the throttle as hard as with the s2000. it also means power oversteer is more likely so you have to be a bit more cautious in turns or slippery surfaces.

another thing you'll like is interior space. an s2000 is very cramped on the inside. the z has more overall space inside for the driver, passenger, and also more storage space in the glove box, center console, and rear hatch.

you will probably lose a little bit of the go kart feeling of the s2000 since you will sit a bit higher and the car is a bit heavier and bigger. but the bigger tires and stiffer chassis make up for that and gives you very good handling despite the size increase. and if you aren't satisfied with it, a set of coilovers and some sticky tires will make up any handling deficit the z has to the s2000.

you may find the shifter on the z a bit vague and rubbery relative to the s2000. a short shifter and shift knob may be a good idea if you find it too annoying.

there aren't any real reliability issues with the z. it's a very well built car. early 2009 models had some problems with oil consumption, prompting nissan to replace the shortblock on some cars. but i think this problem has been eliminated for 2010 and newer years. the other issue is oil overheating and limp mode. that's a very rare occurrence on the road, and should be even more rare with the 2012 since they have an oil to water cooler. of course, if you do plan actual track days, then an oil to air cooler is mandatory. recently, some 2009 models have had their steering lock module fail causing the car not to start. it's a common problem with the gtr and other nissans and now it's appearing in the 370z as well. however, it seems that nissan deleted that module completely for the 2012 model year so you probably won't have to worry about it.

and don't forget to keep the fuel tank at least 25-50% full. you can get fuel starvation on long right hand turns if the fuel is too low.