View Single Post
Old 02-13-2012, 09:41 AM   #6 (permalink)
vo2max99
Base Member

Drives: 08MS3-BM-6MT
vo2max99 is on a distinguished road

New Mustang Boss 302 + ~10K in the bank and ~ 5K set away for tires perhaps. You can run the **** out of it day after day without worry. The 444hp 5.0l is the same engine in the 302R race car. It's about as close to a race car without actually being a race car as a production car gets yet its perfectly fine as a daily driver. I personally wouldn't bother modifying anything other than perhaps the tires when it comes time to change.

Wouldn't bother with a GT-R because sure you may be able to snatch one up for 50K used but you better have a lot of money set aside to maintain the thing. The GT-R is every bit as expensive to maintain as the typical 200K+ exotic.

The transmission alone is like 20K. Insurance cost is probably on the high end as well. Basically the cost to own will be far higher than the typical 50K car and for that matter the typical 100K car.

Being able to "buy" something and being able to "afford" something are two totally different things. But even if you could actually "afford" a used GT-R I wouldn't because their are better choices IMO unless you're concerned with test track numbers / attention from the too fast too furious crowd above all else.

Oh a new Porsche Boxster (base) or CPO Porsche Cayman S would be a good choice as well if you value the actual act of driving above all else as I do. Or maybe a CPO E90/92 M3 if you could find one..

Last edited by vo2max99; 02-13-2012 at 09:50 AM.
vo2max99 is offline   Reply With Quote