View Single Post
Old 02-12-2012, 12:53 PM   #1 (permalink)
MrZ
Base Member

Drives: 09 370ZTouring CY AT
MrZ is on a distinguished road
Default Z1 Post MAF Tubes

IMG_0457.jpg

Here is my review on the Z1 Post MAF Tubes. Yesterday i recieved my tubes from Z1. I installed them after about 30 mins and they came out great. Took the car out today and what a difference. I have the Automatic transmission so i will give my opinion on how it felt in regular auto and in manumatic. Now I have ordered K&N drop-ins but they will not be delivered till Friday. Anyway once they come in i will update this post with how it felt with them installed.

Tubes installed I went with the black tubes to keep a somewhat factory look under the hood.

Appearance 8/10:
The tubes come packaged together really good and they are pretty straight forward. Installed you can tell it is not the factory rubber tube but it is not completely hideous you can just tell the difference.
Ease of Install 9/10:
Would have given a 10 but because i do not have a full set of tools and the shop i usually do my work at was full i decided to do it at home. I recommend using a flat head a pair of pliers and a socket wrench to remove the strut bar with that out of the way i imagine sliding on and off old and new tubes would be a breeze. Also siver tubes on the Post MAF tubes need to be removed so plastic tubing can be inserted into the new tubes.
Sound 10/10
The sound change is not crazy but it does sound better as you go up in the rpm range. I assume once the k&n are put in I'll probably here more of a sucking sound as I still have the OEM filters in and the air does not flow as freely through them.
Power 10/10
Now as we all know the factory air boxes are kinda in their own way CAI so adding the tubes only make them better. I am not sure if it was just the temp change today 33 degrees but in auto mode car felt more responsive. I gave it gas and it just went no real lag from when i pressed the pettle to when the car responded. Also it didn't feel as sluggish going through the power band if that make sense.
Manual Mode: I only went through 2nd 3rd and 4th only to get up to speed as not to get a speeding ticket. And then a pull through 4th from about 25 up to about 50 giving it about 40-45% of peddle. From 2nd through 4th it pulled smoothly and pretty hard and sounded great too might i add. Now on the pull in 4th from 25 to 50 it pulled as if i was in a lower gear. And when I say pulled this is when the 40-45% peddle press comes into play usually i would have to give it more gas than that to get it to speed up with some balls if you will. Now it kinda just does it.
Overall Satisfaction 10/10:
Now I know that these are actual CAI but for what they are and the performance difference i feel with them in w/o the drop-ins installed yet is amazing. I think they give the car just what it needs so that it can put down the power that the engine makes.

Up next I will be getting a set of TP's or HFC to help expell the gases better. Hope this helps anyone who was on the ropes of buying these or getting a CAI system.

Last edited by MrZ; 02-12-2012 at 12:56 PM.
MrZ is offline   Reply With Quote