View Single Post
Old 02-09-2012, 07:11 AM   #49 (permalink)
matthewrigdon
Base Member

Drives: 96 Nissan 300ZX MP M
matthewrigdon is on a distinguished road

I own a 2007 GTi and a 1996 300ZX. Hopefully I'll be adding a 370Z this year.

At any rate, I love the Z. Great handling car. It's the five speed manual and when you can actually get out and drive, it's the best thing. Of course, living in Los Angeles, that isn't a daily occurrence.

The GTi is my DD and I really do enjoy it, although for different reasons. I have the DSG and it's great transmission, especially when you get stuck in traffic and can't get out of first gear. It's nice to not constantly work a clutch. I've never driven any of the newer Zs with an automatic, but it seems like such a waste to get a Z with an automatic. Personally, I don't find a manual very fun in bumper to bumper traffic.

Another thing about the GTi is that it's a sleeper. Most people can't tell a GTi from a Golf. So hopefully the cops won't be targeting you. And frankly, I love driving the GTi as a DD because I don't love it enough to care that I'm putting lots of miles on it. I'd hate to have to drive a Z into the ground personally. The Z is more like a fine wine, something you savor. The GTi is more like a good vodka.

Someone rear-ended me in the GTi and it didn't bother me too much. But it breaks my heart to think of anything happening to my Z. So as far as driving around every day, subject to the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune, I feel better in the GTi. Dings in the parking lot? Eh, it's just the GTi. I can get another one.

Don't just look at new. The brand new GTi isn't a huge upgrade over the Mk V. If you get a well-kept GTi, you'll have plenty of fun with it. Besides, they just announced the 2013 370Z. I'd wait on a 370 anyway. I'm glad to see the fangs go.
matthewrigdon is offline   Reply With Quote