View Single Post
Old 02-08-2012, 06:23 AM   #138 (permalink)
ChrisUR
Base Member

Drives: 370Z Black Edition
ChrisUR will become famous soon enoughChrisUR will become famous soon enough

sorry for the delay guys, I was very busy with other projects during the days so here is the update:

as told it is a lot harder than I thought finding a company who is able and willing to produce the CNC parts for me for a reasonable price.

The idea of making a cast form is good, but first I need to finish at least the prototype so I can test fit and (more important) test drive the GT-R manifold with my adapter to check how it performs.

A cast has a big initial investement even though the mass production is a lot cheaper later on. But before I spend thousands for a form I need to verify if the design we came up with is accurate and if everything works good in the real world.

Test fitment could be done by a wax or PU form but not the test drive and dyno testing. And of course that is what everybody is looking for before I can take orders for the new manifold adapter. I hate the idea of selling something which hasnt prooven to be worth the money under real conditions. No offence against Motordyne, but obviously that is what they did because every article and thread I have read about their M370 talks that you loose power even with a proper tune and the gains in some rpm's are not really worth the effort - and I dont want to offer just another expensive part people are not happy with in overall.

But there may be light at the end of the tunnel, I spoke to a good friend at HWA (they build the SLS GT3 for 24h races and design parts for AMG) and he told me we might be able to lasersinter the complete lower intake manifold out of aluminum powder and this part can withstand at least 15psi and would be the same quality as the stock plastic cast 370Z intake plenum.

I'm currently evaluating what design changes have to be made in order to laserprint the manifold and what the price would be for a prototype.

Will keep you posted !

Chris