View Single Post
Old 02-02-2012, 12:16 AM   #1 (permalink)
Vbp6US
Enthusiast Member

Drives: 2009 370z MB 6MT
Vbp6US is on a distinguished road
Default Another deceased 370z driver...

I found out that he is an employee at the Costco my family and I frequent. I know who he is from talking to his coworker. He was such a helpful fellow. Always smiling. Sad news for sure. Apparently he was not racing (confirmed by CHP I heard) and he has or had diabetes at some point. I read about it in my local paper first:

Quote:
A 22-year-old Escondido man was killed Tuesday when his vehicle hit a light pole on the shoulder of south Interstate 15 near Via Rancho Parkway, then veered across the freeway and crashed into the center divider.

The county Medical Examiner's Office identified him Wednesday as Derek Anthony Millsap.

Witnesses said the man, who was driving a 2011 Nissan 370Z, had been racing on the freeway on-ramp with the driver of a black, four-door Nissan Titan pickup with tinted windows, said CHP Officer Jim Bettencourt. The pickup driver did not stop after the accident, reported about 4:40 p.m.

Witnesses said the driver of the car was stopped at a stoplight on westbound Via Rancho Parkway. When the light turned green, the car and pickup raced south on the ramp at a high rate of speed, Bettencourt said.

The car went out of control and the driver’s side struck a metal light pole on the right shoulder. The car came to rest in an express lane after hitting the center divider.

The car’s right rear tire came off and hit a silver Toyota Camry, causing minor damage to the Camry, Bettencourt said.

Neither drugs nor alcohol appear to have been factors in the accident, Bettencourt said.

Millsap, the car’s driver, died at the scene.

The fast lane and express lanes were closed for more than three hours for an investigation.

Authorities asked anyone who witnessed the collision or has information on the Nissan Titan to call the CHP at (858) 637-3800.
CHP: Racing preceded fatal accident | UTSanDiego.com <-- Ignore the title. They can name it whatever they want. Other outlets are saying it was not racing, to give you an idea.

Last edited by Vbp6US; 02-02-2012 at 12:25 AM.
Vbp6US is offline   Reply With Quote