View Single Post
Old 01-31-2012, 07:45 PM   #3 (permalink)
butdamnbrian
Enthusiast Member

Drives: the ladies wild
butdamnbrian will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccdominic View Post
please tell me you some how managed to get the stock head unit face to pop in over your aftermarket one. that would be an amazing theft deterrent! lol
that is exactly what i did. pretty funny, right?

once i took out the stock HU, i used a screwdriver to remove the faceplate. then i used superglue to glue down a few of the buttons that would otherwise fall out (eject button, power button, etc.).

i was thinking i'd have to create some kind of hanger for the faceplate, but i was happily surprised to find out the faceplate was deep enough (and the alpine 910 was installed far back enough) such that the faceplate hung off the alpine and stayed on its own. it was a great fit.

some of the alpine 900/910 installs in z's on this forum are improperly installed and stick out quite a bit. those will need to be installed further back into the dash for this to work.

in terms of effectiveness, it's not going to fool anyone who's inside the car, but from the outside of the car, looking through the window at night, it's pretty damn good.