Thread: Back-up light
View Single Post
Old 01-31-2012, 08:37 AM   #13 (permalink)
DIGItonium
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 09 Z34-TT 6MT
DIGItonium has a reputation beyond reputeDIGItonium has a reputation beyond reputeDIGItonium has a reputation beyond reputeDIGItonium has a reputation beyond reputeDIGItonium has a reputation beyond reputeDIGItonium has a reputation beyond reputeDIGItonium has a reputation beyond reputeDIGItonium has a reputation beyond reputeDIGItonium has a reputation beyond reputeDIGItonium has a reputation beyond reputeDIGItonium has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb

I have a used pair triple Luxeon Rebel white running at 600mA (from video) in excellent condition. PM me if you are interested in buying. Simply swap the bulbs and test. No need to rewire. Below are pictures of it in action.

You have to see them in person. The video is recorded in daylight so it doesn't overwhelm the camera. I had my friends stand behind me, and they're like "Dude! Turn it off!" Haha. These are handmade bulbs. Below are quick part numbers for information purpose, but I actually source the parts from various sites like Digikey (heatsinks), Superlumination (plastic bulb base), Future Electronics (LED Driver), Luxeon Star (custom premount LED), and Deal Extreme (Cheapest Cree XM-L).

The Cree XM-L can be driven at 3000 mA, but needs CPU heatsink.

Wire the Puck drivers inline with the bulb wires. You will need to shuffle the drivers around to get them to fit properly, then held them down with RTV.

Heatsinks are MANDATORY! I sourced whatever I could from Digikey, but you really need some solid aluminum parts cut and drilled to dissipate heat. Just be creative. Some of my bulbs got so hot the solder melted because of inadequate heatsinking.

Amber @ 700mA
700mA, Non-Dimmable, PowerPuck Driver - With Leads
Amber (591 nm) 20mm Tri-Star Rebel - 396 lm
Carclo 44° Frosted Tri-LED Optic With Holder

White @ 1000mA
1000mA, Non-Dimmable, PowerPuck Driver
XM-LT6 885LM LED Emitter 6000K White Light Bulb (3.0~3.5V) - Free Shipping - DealExtreme

White @ 700mA
700mA, Non-Dimmable, PowerPuck Driver - With Leads
Cool White (6500K) Rebel LED, Pre-Mounted On A 20mm Tri-Star Base - 480 lm @ 700mA