View Single Post
Old 01-25-2012, 02:50 PM   #67 (permalink)
gsxr750
Enthusiast Member

Drives: 2012 370z man. sport
gsxr750 will become famous soon enough

The key thing is that you want stop any dirt from getting into the engine. It doesn't take much dirt or road dirt to completely destroy an engine. Even a small amount of dirt as 1/4 teaspoon of fine dust or road dirt can destroy an engine. The fine dust or grit will get into the intake and get sucked into the crankcase and in short time destry the piston rings and crank bearings.

Look at in inside of a vacuum cleaner bag or filter assembly and you can see the possible fine dust that could be sucked into the engine.

You have to remember that a cars gas engine is nothing moe than a LARGE GAS POWERED AIR PUMP.

In my early STREET DORK DAYS in the late 70's we all seem to go thru it to some extent , it was the fashion to ride your bikes with open velocity stacks, that only had a small wire mesh screen on them, baking flower could pass thru the screen. I completely rebuilt the top end of the bike by thursday night and road about 150 miles on clean city streets just cruising with the screened velocity stacks, then at 150 miles the engine died due to lack of compression, I found out that the piston rings were completly shot and I ended up completely rebuilding the top end and bottom end to fix the engine.

Last edited by gsxr750; 01-25-2012 at 03:17 PM.