View Single Post
Old 01-25-2012, 12:11 AM   #1743 (permalink)
BlackZeda
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 19 Audi TT RS
BlackZeda has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZeda has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZeda has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZeda has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZeda has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZeda has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZeda has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZeda has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZeda has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZeda has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZeda has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacCool View Post
Noveske uppers and lowers are 7075-T6 aluminum, same as the Mega. The difference is that like most ARs, the Noveske is machined from a forging whereas the Mega is machined from a billet. The lack of stress relieving in the billet machining process arguably results in a weaker end product, and as a result one often finds that the billet products end up being thicker/heavier than their forged counterparts with reinforcements in key areas. If not done well, you can get cracking in some of those areas. Bottom line, no real advantage and mostly marketing hype. Another downside of billet is that some parts may not work with a billet lower (BAD lever, some of the lower parts, Redi-Mags, etc.) Not saying Mega is bad, it's just not superior in any way, other than the fact that it's more readily available.
You definitely have confirmed some of my suspicions/instincts and helped me resist the hype...thanks! Just from experience with mountain bike parts and golf clubs I will always choose a forged part over something that has just been cast and cut out. With mountain bike parts the later will just fail, and with golf clubs you really get no feeling (and I have broken a few cast golf club heads). I tried many, many clubs last year and have come to the conclusion that I will probably never give up my Mizunos which are forged.

I think I will just be patient and wait for the Noveske matched upper and lower set, especially since you have informed me that they are made with 7075-T6 aluminum...thanks! I did notice that the lower weighted .2 ounces more, so it seems they need to add more material.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacCool View Post
I have a VIS upper on my Noveske Light Recce. It's nice, but it is heavy. I also have a couple of rifles I built from Noveske matched uppers/lowers. I have yet to be able to ascertain, no matter how much I try to fool myself, that the rigidity of the VIS gives me any kind of advantage over the other two rifles.
After trying the Troy Industries TRX Battlerail Extreme and VTAC TRX Extreme forearms I think I am hooked. They are both very light and they make the AR feel very sleek and small instead of the bulkiness I experience with a quad-rail forearm. The extra material seems to be a waste for rails that go unused. My ARs feel almost like mini-FN FALs...pretty cool. I might consider a VIS upper when building my 7.62 AR here in the near future.

Thanks for the insight on the receiver parts as well. I will not be lazy and go ahead and buy them individually instead of a kit and still go with Geisselle triggers.

Thanks again McCool! I will post when I get my receivers swapped out with the Noveskes.

Last edited by BlackZeda; 01-25-2012 at 12:14 AM.
BlackZeda is offline   Reply With Quote