View Single Post
Old 01-24-2012, 12:54 PM   #125 (permalink)
phunk
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 370
phunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond repute

basically you just have to consider what your current engine speed is versus what the engine speed will be once you are completed with the gear change. the further the difference is, the more work the synchros have to match up the shaft speeds. the faster you perform the shift, the less time you are giving the synchros to accomplish this task. also, the faster you perform this shift, the less amount of time you have given the engine rpm to fall closer to the next gear speed.

the wear saved on the clutch by skip shifting is extremely neglible. personally, i would would rather take the very minor extra clutch wear, than add work for the synchros... because of course the clutch is a consumable item already. wearing on the synchros is risky because if they dont fail while youre still in warrenty, than the new transmission is out of your pocket.

but on the other hand, a new transmission for these cars is not as expensive as you may think. i know 350z trans are well under 2000$ and i bet the 370z trans doesnt cost any more, but i havent looked it up. $2000 isnt much considering what a nice clutch/flywheel kit costs. and if you only have to replace the trans every 5 years or so, its not that bad.

but you can replace the transmission all you want, after some time has taken place, they will always start giving you crap into 5th and 6th gear as the synchros are not very robust in those gears, and skip shifting isnt going to do them any favors.

I wouldnt worry about it a whole ton... but if you skip shift nearly every time you take off from a light, you may want to put some consideration into double clutching and/or doing it less often.