View Single Post
Old 01-24-2012, 07:58 AM   #2 (permalink)
scottIN
Track Member

Drives: '12 370Z
scottIN has a reputation beyond reputescottIN has a reputation beyond reputescottIN has a reputation beyond reputescottIN has a reputation beyond reputescottIN has a reputation beyond reputescottIN has a reputation beyond reputescottIN has a reputation beyond reputescottIN has a reputation beyond reputescottIN has a reputation beyond reputescottIN has a reputation beyond reputescottIN has a reputation beyond repute

I assume the same thing will happen to me. Ordered in October, expecting delivery in February. The way we wrote the contract was 'invoice price', so I don't know that I have a lot of wiggle room.

I'm going to guess (and it's just a guess) that the dealer locks in the price when they place the order. I know that's the way it is in my business. I sell a lot of flash drives, and they change price every week. Price I pay from China is the the price on the day I put the order in. Like after the earthquake in Japan, I had 3 orders in production, but I paid pre-earthquake prices (prices went up 20% the day of the quake), not what the price was when they were delivered. Imagine the chaos that would create in business if after you ordered something the price changed to the seller's (or distributor's) advantage.

You can always just wait until the car arrives and then tell them you will pay what you had agreed to pay or they can keep it. If the increase is pure profit for them (i.e. the car didn't cost them anymore), they really aren't losing anything.
scottIN is offline   Reply With Quote