View Single Post
Old 01-22-2012, 07:36 PM   #37 (permalink)
onzedge
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 370Z 240Z
onzedge has a reputation beyond reputeonzedge has a reputation beyond reputeonzedge has a reputation beyond reputeonzedge has a reputation beyond reputeonzedge has a reputation beyond reputeonzedge has a reputation beyond reputeonzedge has a reputation beyond reputeonzedge has a reputation beyond reputeonzedge has a reputation beyond reputeonzedge has a reputation beyond reputeonzedge has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dAvenue View Post
kenchan, I tried doing that but the inner most bolt of the strut kept turning as I turned the outer nut. Maybe it wasn't raised high enough by the jack? I really don't know man...please forgive my ignorance on this one.

So I removed one of the front shocks, but the nut holding the top hat on is a real PITA to remove. The spring compressors are compressed as far as they will go, but I'm having absolutely no luck getting that sunava beach removed.

I'm tempted to haul it over to a local pro to swap them out like Mike suggested. I just don't want to fork over $50. Do you guys have any ideas just short of doing that?
This is Colin (the guy in the snap on hat compressing the spring in the earlier picture)
If you are talking about the nut that holds the strut into the mount (top hat), then there are three ways to go about removing it.

1. use an impact gun. just be sure to go in short bursts to avoid spinning the seals inside the strut. I only use this method for removing the nut, not installing, to prevent damaging the new struts.

2. get a pair of vice grips and a rubber hose large enough diameter to fit aroud the shaft of the strut. cut a pice of the rubber hose off (1-2") then slit it down one end, but it around the strut shaft then clamp down on it with vice grips to hold the shaft, then use a ratchet or wrench to remove the nut.

3. use an offset whench or ratchet with a pass through (like a gearatchet) on the nut while holding the shaft with either an allen, torx, socket, or outside torx (depending on strut)
if you dont have a offset wrench or a pass through ratchet use a socket then use a pipe wrench to turn the socket, instead of a ratchet.

-Colin Clark, ASE Master Automobile Technician