View Single Post
Old 01-18-2012, 06:05 AM   #7 (permalink)
bvl
Enthusiast Member

Drives: MB Roadster (sold)
bvl is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by XwChriswX View Post
You may or may not notice it, but the lower rated gas will hinder your performance and economy a bit. If you Have to run lower grade gas due to your state, look into getting the STP Octane Booster (Orange Bottle) It will help bring the octane rating up a few points.

I use the OB and the Gas Treatment in every tank and it's netted me 2 mpg more avg than other Z's for the entire time I've had the car.
Unless they changed their product if you do the math you will see Octane booster products in Pep Boys and the like barely raises octane at all...unless you use several bottles of the stuff which isn't very cost effective and may be too much chemicals for a single treatment.

If you want to really raise octane, use Toluene or Xylene. $/gal will be far less then those little marketing bottles and it actually works. You can get a gallon in the paint section of any hardware/paint/home dictator store.

Example: say you get a bad batch of fuel in the winter and audibly notice some knocking. Engine management will retard timing but for safety, tossing in 1 gal of toluene will raise your effective octane rating 1.4-1.6 points (depending on what you started with) if you start out with 15 gallons of fuel in the tank. A pint of STP is a fraction of that on 15 gallons. The 2 points they advertise you have to read 2 points on how many gallons..not 'up to'.

Math good. Marketing bad.

- b
bvl is offline   Reply With Quote