View Single Post
Old 01-17-2012, 08:20 PM   #65 (permalink)
roplusbee
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 2007 350Z NISMO
roplusbee has a reputation beyond reputeroplusbee has a reputation beyond reputeroplusbee has a reputation beyond reputeroplusbee has a reputation beyond reputeroplusbee has a reputation beyond reputeroplusbee has a reputation beyond reputeroplusbee has a reputation beyond reputeroplusbee has a reputation beyond reputeroplusbee has a reputation beyond reputeroplusbee has a reputation beyond reputeroplusbee has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to roplusbee Send a message via Yahoo to roplusbee
Lightbulb

To Ron and O&G:

I want to be there to witness, lol. Drag strip or closed circuit? If it is the latter, I want in as well!

To all interested:
( Click to show/hide )

I think 98intrigue pushed the single turbo thing with his build and trial/tribulations. There are others out there that did well and props to them. As far as what works "best" on a platform? That one can be debated for quite some time. I think Mike and a few others hit it on the head earlier on in the discussion.

For me.....this is my first V configuration engine and to me, I would only run twins to reduce the interesting things that a single brings to that setup. Every other turbo'd car I have owned or worked on was an "I" configuration and was better suited for larger single turbo setups. Two of my colleagues had I6s and I had an I4.

One had RHD MKIII Supra (1.5JZ-GTE with Blitz TT upgrade kit) and installed a equal length tubular manifold and some random T4 Garrett. It sucked. We then sourced a cast iron single manifold and we were chasing him as a result. The second guy had a R33 GTS-T (with RB26DETT swap). Lets just say we spent most of the time working on his car. Eventually, we rebuilt his motor and went with a T04 Garrett as well. For some reason, he continually had problems with boost/vac. He got it straight right before he left, but I am not sure if he sold it or took it to his next assignment. Lastly, I had a S13 200SX Fastback (CA18DET that needed a ton of maintenance and TLC). I made the mistake of not managing my goals/expectations and built the motor twice. Once to stock goodness and again so that I could clear the 300HP limitation without blowing up. I wasted money on tubular manifolds (2 to be exact), rebuilt T25/T28 turbos (1 stock rebuild and 2 FP branded). I ended up with the good ole stock cast iron manifold, ported stock intake manifold, and a GT2871r with upgraded turbine/compressor wheel(s). I had heat shields out the yin/yang in my engine bay until I decided to go back to the stock manifolds. We wrapped all of my exhaust piping )down to the cat-delete the last go around and replaced the stock heat shields.

The end result? From a dig, the R33 would jump out and get walked down by the other 2. From a roll, the MKIII was a beast. The 2 I6s would jump ahead, but I would walk them down by 100mph (which was too late). Maybe if I started in a lower gear to keep my boost up, I would have done better.....Oh well!
2007 350Z NISMO #0618: Zerolift | UPREV | F.I. | Greddy | Competition Clutch | Injector Dynamics | Aeromotive | Pioneer | JL