View Single Post
Old 01-15-2012, 10:03 PM   #83 (permalink)
ChrisSlicks
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 09 370Z Sport M6
ChrisSlicks has a reputation beyond reputeChrisSlicks has a reputation beyond reputeChrisSlicks has a reputation beyond reputeChrisSlicks has a reputation beyond reputeChrisSlicks has a reputation beyond reputeChrisSlicks has a reputation beyond reputeChrisSlicks has a reputation beyond reputeChrisSlicks has a reputation beyond reputeChrisSlicks has a reputation beyond reputeChrisSlicks has a reputation beyond reputeChrisSlicks has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyrrhus17 View Post
So to explain my situation I bought this car to autocross/ and some track time . I do believe the car benifits from an oil cooler so i got one . That the puts me (autocrossing scca ) in the street mod category which is fine but the car is not nearly as competetive so it snow balls into well Iwill get FI like the other cars to be on an equal footing . This all leads to is this car really capable of doing this or should I just buy another plateform more suited . (By the way the 2012's that come with oil coolers are still stock catagory LOL ) So round and round I go GO FI not suited for track NO FI not great in class . This is all great so glad I read what a great track car this is .I do like the car but it is NOT a great car for the money I should have bought a speed 3 !
I did auto-x for a year in the car bone stock, never really had any overheating issues unless I did several runs back to back on a very hot day.

BTW an oil cooler puts you into Street Prepared, not Street Modified - there is a big difference. SM has pretty extreme cars, SP is still very competitive but you are much more restricted in the modifications you can do. I've held my own against the other SP cars so far, but yes to be near the top in SP you do have to build towards the limit of the rules.

BTW an air to oil cooler like most people add is near useless for auto-x as it does next to nothing when you are sitting still in the pits after a run, it needs airflow to work, so unless you sandwich it against the radiator and seal the sides the radiator fan isn't drawing any air over it. The 2012 stock oil to water cooler is more useful in that environment.