View Single Post
Old 01-02-2009, 01:07 AM   #17 (permalink)
Skaterbasist
Base Member

Drives: 06 G35 Coupe 6MT
Skaterbasist has a reputation beyond reputeSkaterbasist has a reputation beyond reputeSkaterbasist has a reputation beyond reputeSkaterbasist has a reputation beyond reputeSkaterbasist has a reputation beyond reputeSkaterbasist has a reputation beyond reputeSkaterbasist has a reputation beyond reputeSkaterbasist has a reputation beyond reputeSkaterbasist has a reputation beyond reputeSkaterbasist has a reputation beyond reputeSkaterbasist has a reputation beyond repute

I drove the 370Z with sports package (6MT) myself today.

I pulled up just before they closed in my 2006 G35 Coupe, and had a salesman waiting for the second I got out of the car

I have already seen it in person before (L.A Auto Show), so there was nothing to surprice me as far as the exterior goes.

The interior, which was the base car, is definately far superior to the current 350Z. Everything is just smooth to touch. And this isn't even the Touring model, not to even mention the Nav option.

Now, as far as the test drive. Just to let you know where im coming from: My G35 Coupe 6MT has full bolt ons + tune, with a full suspension (sway bars, track coilovers, etc).

The drive was honestly no real surprise. It's the same engine as that on the G37, so it felt just like it (obviously). The engine is smooth and very linear, and doesn't really have a real punch to it. But the power is very progressive. The car itself is also VERY quiet (but then again, my car does have an exhaust with no catalyctic converters). I was honestly not really impressed with the acceleration itself, but I guess I have my car to blame for that. My car is making alot more torque than the 370Z so it doesnt have that grunt my car has. Punch my car at 5000 RPM's and it slams you against the driver seat. That wasn't the case with the 370Z. That does NOT mean my car is faster...it just feels faster. I would predict my car is very close to the 370Z, if not, the 370Z should edge me out just a little bit.

The drive itself was also surprisingly very GT-like. I could have sworn I was driving the G37... but it did feel more nimble. Compared to my G35 Coupe, the drive felt very soft.

The transmission and clutch, once again, was no surprice as I have already driven the G37. The clutch itself is very light, and more hydrolic than my G35c. It might take me a week or so to get used to that feel. And the transmission feels a little more refined.

The synchro rev-match option is definately neat. It is very precise and delivers the right throttle blip instantly. It's a great feature to have, though I prefer doing the rev-matching myself. (Good thing there's an off button ).

I didn't have the chance to really test the brakes, but they aren't as grabby as my G35c brakes. I'm sure they easily outbrake my car though.

Overall, im impressed by the car. Just not overwhelmed. The car definately has potential, and a full bolt-on plus full suspension 370Z should be a blast to drive. The fact that I have driven the G37 6MT and have a modified G35 Coupe probably took away the "awe" effect many have felt with the drive of this car. But that doesn't mean its an amazing car.

I will check out the Touring Model (and one with the Nav option) once I have the chance.

I might be in this car come Fall if I get the right deal [after my lease is over with my G35].
Skaterbasist is offline   Reply With Quote