View Single Post
Old 01-14-2012, 03:33 PM   #20 (permalink)
phunk
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 370
phunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by m4a1mustang View Post
Ah, I thought you were generalizing all skipped shifts as "bad". If you skip shifts right and match your revs that shouldn't cause excessive wear.
ya id say yes and no... theres 20 different ways to skip a shift and some are going to increase wear a lot and some are going to be marginal... i would say that you can figure on some sort of increased wear, more/less depending on exactly how you drive. Its a good thing to have a little understanding of, if its in your practice, then you can prevent premature wear.

the good news is that a new transmission is under $2000 for this car... thats less than a good clutch/flywheel kit. Installation is only a couple hours of monkey work. Spread out over a 6-7 year span (just going by my 350z trans) that it should still be useable and tolerable under abuse... thats probably less money than you will spend on brakes. so its a wear item, i say wear it out. replace it when its no longer adequate. just cant complain if they dont work like new for the life of the vehicle under abused circumstances.