View Single Post
Old 01-14-2012, 04:40 AM   #17 (permalink)
phunk
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 370
phunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by m4a1mustang View Post
If skipping shifts was so bad on your synchros then manufacturers wouldn't force features like "skip-shift" that make you go from 1-4 in easy driving.
You are ignoring the many separations in the scenarios. High torque large displacement vehicles use a 1-4 skip shift solenoid for gas mileage only. The skip shift solenoid engages at low load and low rpm only, and the speed changes are less drastic. 3-6 is a taller shift and the OP is shifting out at a pretty high rpm and probably not waiting for the engine speed to come all the way down either. Not to mention lower gears use more robust double or triple synchros depending on exactly which transmission and gear. 6th is a single for pretty much every trans. There is a reason his 6th gear is not continuing to allow it... And when something performs worse over time in a vehicle, that is due to wear.... And I guarantee you that wear is in the transmission... Not a side effect of turbos or anything.

Btw I skip shift pretty often myself. I wait for the engine speed to come down before attempting. To do so should help a lot versus shifting it at a "normal" rate. It had never destroyed a trans on me but my 350z did eventually become rather difficult to get into 6th without perfect timing.. But it was 5th that really got beat up because that's the gear I usually skip shift into if I'm going to skip. 5th gear synchros pretty much toast in my 350z by the time I sold it this year.

Last edited by phunk; 01-14-2012 at 05:23 AM.
phunk is offline   Reply With Quote