View Single Post
Old 01-09-2012, 10:37 AM   #13 (permalink)
djpathfinder
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 2012 GT-R BE
djpathfinder has a reputation beyond reputedjpathfinder has a reputation beyond reputedjpathfinder has a reputation beyond reputedjpathfinder has a reputation beyond reputedjpathfinder has a reputation beyond reputedjpathfinder has a reputation beyond reputedjpathfinder has a reputation beyond reputedjpathfinder has a reputation beyond reputedjpathfinder has a reputation beyond reputedjpathfinder has a reputation beyond reputedjpathfinder has a reputation beyond repute

Coaxial helicopters (two sets of main rotors) are easier to control and more stable. They are also less maneuverable. When you get to the larger helis, they tend to be like the real ones, with a main rotor and tail rotor (CCPM), and helis are inherently unstable. The flight experience with these helis will be very different.

I took up RC helis as a hobby 2 years before I got myself a Z. Since having a Z, I haven't been flying...can't support car mods and helis together...not enough $$$. My first heli was an Airhogs one. The one you have is way better than my first. And within 3 months I got into an Align TRex 450 SE V2. 6 months later I got into an even bigger heli, an Align T-Rex 600 E (electric).

The best thing you can do is buy yourself an RC aircraft flight simulator, such as Real Flight. I spent 12 hours practicing how to hover (with the tail towards you). before I took the 450 off the ground. It's a great learning tool and way cheaper than having to fix a heli after a crash. For a while, that's all you're going to do...hover. Even that will make you white knuckled some times. Join a few forums, go to your local hobby shop or look up a local RC heli club...talk to other hobbyists and read up on how to learn to fly properly. Get familiar with the safety precautions and rules...these helis are really not toys. They can be very dangerous, but when used properly, they can be a lot of fun!