View Single Post
Old 01-09-2012, 02:47 AM   #60 (permalink)
ChrisUR
Base Member

Drives: 370Z Black Edition
ChrisUR will become famous soon enoughChrisUR will become famous soon enough

I really hope GTM will reveal their solution as I'm curious how they overcome certain issues I discovered while working on this.

For for installation height there are some key aspects you normally cannot change:
- the manifold cannot sit lower than the stock manifold as the "air boxes" touch the valve covers. Even if you simply place the manifold on top of the engine as I did on one of the above pictures, means in the most lower position you can get with no space between mani and valvecovers the strut bar will not fit.
--> that is the reason why the flange for the GTR plenum needs to be at least 2cm / 0.787" higher to make the mani clear the valve covers

Nissan has designed the stock mani in a special way to fit the strut bar. If you put the stock mani on a table and have the lower flange (which connects to the lower manifold) in a horizontal orientation you will find that the top of the plenum has an angle which makes it lower in the front section. The GTR plenum doesnt have that as it was not designed to work with a strutbar going over it.

We have tried to make the plenum sit as low as technically possible so you might be able to put some thin spacers under the strut bar and make it fit but that has to be tested.

Chris

@370Z JT
the whole CAD development is now at about 80% ready - we hope to finish the design by end of this week so the production of the flanges etc. can start next week. My personal goal was to have the prototype ready and installed for testing before end of January.