View Single Post
Old 01-08-2012, 09:44 AM   #12 (permalink)
canes7
Base Member

Drives: '11 BC/Tour/Spt/7at
canes7 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bebenegro View Post
The only modification needed is a small bit of grinding of the front of the air ducts that fed the stock intakes. You actually remove the rest of the plastic duct, as its no longer used. This part scared me a bit initially, but it was actually really, really easy to do. Just make sure you have a decent cutting / grinding tool. The cutting didnt take my cousing and I more than 5 minutes total.

Now, as for impressions...

Today I made the 70 mile trip back home. I took it slow for the first half of the trip (slow as in normal, non spirited driving). I wanted the ECU to fully adjust to the new intakes. First thing I noticed, upon normal driving, was an increase in MPG compared to the stock intakes. I used to get an average of 20.9-21.1, now Im getting 23.9-24.1. I somewhat expected this, as I noticed a similar jump in mileage when I installed an intake in my previous car, a Mazdaspeed3. In that case the jump was larger (from 21 up to 27), but that was a turbo car.

On the latter half of the trip, I sped things up a bit, doing some 2nd and 3rd gear runs in some straights of the highway. I have to say. the car pulls harder... But really only after 5K RPM. I dont notice any difference in performance in the lower RPMs. I guess Ill be touching redline a bit more often now!

In terms of sound, again... Down low, not much of a difference... But up top? Man, this is how I expected this sports car to sound. The car comes alive at high RPMs.

So, thats it. If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask.
Awesome! Thanks for that info. I think I'll step up and do the mod,
canes7 is offline   Reply With Quote