View Single Post
Old 01-04-2012, 01:45 AM   #28 (permalink)
ImportConvert
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 2019 CX5 GT Reserve
ImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by m4a1mustang View Post
If you've never driven on summer tires before, be sure to be very careful with them when it's really cold out. When you first start the car up in the morning when it gets really cold they can be pretty dangerous. Your stopping distance will increase tremendously (almost as if you're on ice) and emergency turning will be nearly impossible until the tires can warm up some. Usually it takes 10-15 minutes of regular driving before the tires are warmed up enough to where you're at really safe levels of grip for emergencies, but even then you need to be careful.
No kidding. Drove the Z06 today. 43* out based on the external temp. 1st gear was utterly useless. 12" contact patches mean nothing on F1 GEN 2 tires with and LS7 in 43* weather. At about 2000 rpm gently rolling into it I lost traction completely. Short shift to second. Continued. had to back out of it (from about 2500rpm, lol) and just accept that I was NOT going to get ahead of the vehicle I was trying to merge in front of. I felt like such a failure in a 500hp car not able to merge at 50mph (I gave up at about 30mph or so when I saw I was going NOWHERE) in front of a jeep.

I always drive with this kind of thing in mind until I see a 3psi or so increase in the tires. Our TPMS shows us individual tire PSI and it is very useful as a rough diagnostic for when you can play a little.

Oh...sharp turn in a parking-lot at wheel-lock the entire front end was shaking and vibrating and the car resonated with the phenomena OP mentioned. It's normal, even in supercars.

*The girl at Nissan who is working with me told me the 370Z had a TPMS read-out for individual tires. I don't own it yet, so I have not fiddled with it, but I could NOT find it during the test-drive. I doubt it exists "normally", but is there a way to crack it? I know on the mustangs 99-04 you could get them to display engine RPM digitally, ACTUAL oil-pressure, and all that through the Info center on the dash if you followed a procedure. 370Z have anything like that?

Last edited by ImportConvert; 01-04-2012 at 01:52 AM.
ImportConvert is offline   Reply With Quote