Thread: 135i or 370z
View Single Post
Old 08-11-2009, 01:56 AM   #51 (permalink)
dalparadise
The370Z.com Sponsor

Drives: 2010 Z Roadster T/S
dalparadise is on a distinguished road

On a similar note -- 6-7 years ago I switched from a BMW Z3 to a 330 Convertible with the M-sport package, because I wanted to retain the sportiness of the Z3, but gain the practicality, refinement and prestige of the E46 convertible. The move was more pronounced than that being discussed here -- from a $36,000 car to a $49,000 one -- but about three months after I had done it, I started regretting it.

The 330 lacked the head-turning capacity of the Z3. The so-called refinement was another way of saying they took the edge off that I liked so much in the Z3. The Z was raw and tossable. You could hear the engine and the shifter vibrated on top of a massive transmission tunnel. I dug the lack of comfort and convenience more than I realized. It made a statement. Everybody asked about the Z3. Nobody cared about the 330. Not that that was a deal-killer, but it made a difference. By that time, there was no way I was going to a Z4.

Now, many years later, I drive a 06 MX-5 and I know it's to recapture that Z3 aura. I originally planned to wait for the 370Z Roadster, but after driving a 370 coupe, I think I won't be missing a beat on the sporty side. The car is raw. It's unrefined, yet luxurious. That's a rare dichotomy in this price range. I'd hate to get into a 135 and find that I'd settled for a civilized car with background blending looks that can't fully deliver on either sport or luxury in terms of feel or driving experience.

Admittedly, I've only driven one of the cars in this equation, the 370. But, it made enough of an impression to not need to drive the other. That's coming from a reformed Bimmerphile.

Last edited by dalparadise; 08-11-2009 at 01:59 AM.