View Single Post
Old 08-10-2009, 09:23 PM   #13 (permalink)
Diversion
Enthusiast Member

Drives: 09 370Z Silver/Persi
Diversion has a reputation beyond reputeDiversion has a reputation beyond reputeDiversion has a reputation beyond reputeDiversion has a reputation beyond reputeDiversion has a reputation beyond reputeDiversion has a reputation beyond reputeDiversion has a reputation beyond reputeDiversion has a reputation beyond reputeDiversion has a reputation beyond reputeDiversion has a reputation beyond reputeDiversion has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Diversion

Thanks fellas..

There's already atleast 2 DIY write ups on how to black the housings out! I used both of the DIYs to get mine done, actually!

It took time, it's not an easy process.. it's quite scary to be honest. The front bumper comes off easier than I imagined (and even easier to put back on), the headlights were a bit of a pain to pull out, you have to cut a zip-tie on the harness before it will free itself from the car.

We decided to heat the oven up to 300 degrees.. Pre-heat the oven to 300, then TURN THE OVEN OFF and put your head lamp inside on a piece of cardboard up-right, let it sit in the residual heat for 5~ minutes and you should be able to seperate the lens from the housing. It made a LOUD pop sound and I swore we just cracked the lens.. but no, it was the housing plastic rubbing against.. something, we're not sure what but there was no damage anywhere to be found.. So just be careful, we got the LOUD pop (breaking/crack sound) from both headlights.

Whole process took about 5 hours.. between 3 of us.. taking it slow and easy drinking some beer Well worth it in the end! I love the styling now!

I used a Rustoleum Satin Black All-Purpose SPRAY paint.. Yes it's just plain spray paint. The paint settled really well, which is why it appears to be so smooth and well painted.. I hear Krylon Fusion is probably a better paint to use though? I wouldn't know. I went hunting all over town for Krylon Satin Black and couldn't find it, so I ended up going to Lowe's and they had the Rustoleum.. Then days later, Super Walmart nearby had a whole shelf of Krylon Fusion Satin Black.. go figure my luck.

If anybody has any questions about my process, let me know.. it's a scary job, because you don't want to get dust inside or crack something.. I wouldn't do this mod if you don't have another car to drive just in case you don't finish the work in time. Must sure you have a running daily driver! We actually split the job up into two days (3 days apart). You have to let the paint dry atleast 24 hours to cure..