View Single Post
Old 08-10-2009, 08:23 PM   #1 (permalink)
kannibul
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 370z Touring/Sport
kannibul has a reputation beyond reputekannibul has a reputation beyond reputekannibul has a reputation beyond reputekannibul has a reputation beyond reputekannibul has a reputation beyond reputekannibul has a reputation beyond reputekannibul has a reputation beyond reputekannibul has a reputation beyond reputekannibul has a reputation beyond reputekannibul has a reputation beyond reputekannibul has a reputation beyond repute
Default Ok, another basic question (engine related)

Compression...relating to piston types - this is something I've never understood...so bear with me...

If you have piston/head combination that produces, say 9:1 compression - and you swap the pistons with some that claim 11:1 - all things being equal, shouldn't the compression really be the same? By that, I mean, if you calculate the volume of the cylinder + combustion chamber at BDC and TDC for the 9:1 compression pistons, and, calculate the cylinder + combustion chamber volume at BDC and TDC for the 11:1 pistons - the ratio should be the same...

The only way I can figure on the compression ratio increasing is if you increase the stroke of the piston, so that it has a higher BDC volume compared to the TDC volume...

Or am I missing something?

Thanks...
kannibul is offline   Reply With Quote