View Single Post
Old 12-22-2011, 11:37 PM   #13 (permalink)
AlexRaymond19
Track Member

Drives: 2010 Nissan 370z
AlexRaymond19 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strangler View Post
I've always been wondering. Do you put your car in first gear when you're at a stop light? Someone told me by doing that it will wear your clutch out faster. Is that true?

After hearing that I've always put the gear in neutral at all stops.
Do what ever is most comfortable for you! The wear is so minute that it doesn't matter... I dont care what anyone says. Now if you get hit while at a stop light and you are in first gear and your foot slips and you hit the gas at the same time you might be screwed... But honestly the wear is so minor with keeping your foot on the clutch that it does not matter one bit. Does it wear? YES, are you going to make repairs earlier because of it? Maybe by a week earlier then you would anyway... The chances of something else having to be replaced first is much greater than you wearing out the throw out bearing. Keep it in neutral for good practice and safety, not because you will wear your car out...