View Single Post
Old 12-22-2011, 04:27 AM   #49 (permalink)
ChrisUR
Base Member

Drives: 370Z Black Edition
ChrisUR will become famous soon enoughChrisUR will become famous soon enough

@phunk
I really appreciate your work (awesome manifold build) and your input - as said earlier it was just like "everybody talks about the GT-R manifold on our cars, but there is zero to none progress, so lets try".

I'm absolutely ready to accept if this conversion does not yield any performance gains on my NA car. But hey, at least I finally tried it so there is a definite answer to the question if and how it works for the VHR.

As for the low end torque design I wouldn't be too angry if it helps our cars in the low end region as this is were we are missing torque the most. As soon as the VVEL kicks in the characteristics of the engine changes completely but before it feels very weak, so any gain here would be appreciated.

My hope with this conversion on the NA car is that it will gain in the low and mid rpm range and still keep the stock manifold numbers in the high end range.

As for keeping the stock lower manifold and modify it thats no option for me as it has square runners while the gtr manifold has almost round runners. When I take the effort of mounting this thing on our car I want to have at least a design which looks like to be the optimum you can do - testing a combination of stock lower and gtr upper says nothing about the potential this conversion may have.

@Bullitt
as said I can't wait to see what GTM finally releases and how they worked around the issues I have found so far. It can't really hurt to have two separat approaches to the same problem and two independant testing results. My build is not intended to be a selling product in the first place, its more like a project I wanted to do - well, if everything is ready and somebody wants one, there's no worries

@Perf.Des
indeed the stock strut brace is also an issue - we tried to sit the plenum as low as possible but because the R35 has no strut bar over the plenum they have not designed it to clear one. When you look at the stock plenum it has a special angle and some kind of notch where the strut bar runs across.

we will either work with spacers or design a new strut bar that goes in front of the new plenum.

Chris