View Single Post
Old 08-10-2009, 09:43 AM   #9 (permalink)
kannibul
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 370z Touring/Sport
kannibul has a reputation beyond reputekannibul has a reputation beyond reputekannibul has a reputation beyond reputekannibul has a reputation beyond reputekannibul has a reputation beyond reputekannibul has a reputation beyond reputekannibul has a reputation beyond reputekannibul has a reputation beyond reputekannibul has a reputation beyond reputekannibul has a reputation beyond reputekannibul has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modshack View Post
Couple of things actually. First, assuming your alignment is spot on from the factory Makes you a very optimistic guy.. In reality they have but a few minutes on the assembly line to get all 4 wheels adjusted. Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't. My New Corvette had 3 of the 4 wheels out of spec.

Secondly, most lower suspension arms are bolted to subframes, which are in turn bolted to the chassis. Taking a hit to a wheel can shift the subframe slightly therefore throwing the car out of alignment.
A shifted subframe will take 2 wheels out of alignment, not just the one that took the hit.

Consider Alignments a normal maintenance item. Good idea to get one done when new by a quality shop who specializes in alignments, then get it tweaked once a year if you live in an area plagued by bad roads. The money you save on tires will generally pay for the alignments ....

I guess my point of view is that nothing should shift, short of a failure (be it a bend, break, etc)...it's been something I've been wondering about for a while. I mean, how much force is needed to knock the wheel out 1deg - or cause the camber to move...

I just find it strange the dealer blamed it on roads, rather than it could be out of spec because Nissan didn't do it right at the factory - it just got me thinking about it again...
kannibul is offline   Reply With Quote