View Single Post
Old 12-16-2011, 01:46 AM   #8 (permalink)
Mecinoid
Base Member

Drives: 16 370Z Sport Wht S7
Mecinoid has a reputation beyond reputeMecinoid has a reputation beyond reputeMecinoid has a reputation beyond reputeMecinoid has a reputation beyond reputeMecinoid has a reputation beyond reputeMecinoid has a reputation beyond reputeMecinoid has a reputation beyond reputeMecinoid has a reputation beyond reputeMecinoid has a reputation beyond reputeMecinoid has a reputation beyond reputeMecinoid has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by wind.zero View Post
Just a couple of tips.
  1. Put all 4 corners on jack stands or leave it on the ground with overinflated tires
  2. Change the oil/filter and top off all fluids
  3. Fill the tank full with quality premium fuel and add a stabilizer
  4. Completely clean the interior, close all points of entry, and put something in the interior to absorb odors like a container of baking soda. Keep it locked while stored.
  5. Hand wash the exterior and apply wax
  6. Put a trickle charger on the battery or pull the battery and charge 1x a month
  7. Block off entry at the exhaust tips to keep out potential pests
  8. Cover the car with a quality cover

I have heard pro's/con's to the idling to warm up method. You could probably save a lot of hassle and less prep by arranging to have someone drive it long enough to reach operating temperature for 10-15 minutes twice a month.

EDIT
All of my vehicles have been a DD, so I have never had to store a vehicle for over a month. GL during your deployment and teach your wife to drive a stick.
That's about right. I'd just disconnect the battery with battery disconnect blade and have the wife start the car every other month. Just show her how to reconnect and disconnect and why. A tickle charger on the battery would be a nice plus. As long as she did that with the steps above you'll be golden. My cars, motorhomes and boats has lasted over 18 months at times without issues using these methods. Good battery condition and gas stabilizer in the tank are probably the two most important items.

Thank you for your service to this country !!!!

Last edited by Mecinoid; 12-16-2011 at 01:50 AM.
Mecinoid is offline   Reply With Quote