View Single Post
Old 08-09-2009, 08:20 PM   #4 (permalink)
spearfish25
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: to work
spearfish25 has a reputation beyond reputespearfish25 has a reputation beyond reputespearfish25 has a reputation beyond reputespearfish25 has a reputation beyond reputespearfish25 has a reputation beyond reputespearfish25 has a reputation beyond reputespearfish25 has a reputation beyond reputespearfish25 has a reputation beyond reputespearfish25 has a reputation beyond reputespearfish25 has a reputation beyond reputespearfish25 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to spearfish25

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidyan View Post
Good write up. one recommendation for point #8 is that you should make sure that before plugging the fill hole, any excess overflow completely drains out. The fluid level should be exactly level with the bottom of the fill.

Also, since you used jack stands on the rear, not sure how level your car was. One way to avoid over/underfilling is to take measure the oil drained out and put the same amount back in. Take into consideration that about 0.1 quart may have stuck to the catch container.
There was certainly some tilt to the car but measuring the exact amount you put in will be darn near impossible. The siphon pump and tubing contain an unknown volume of oil, and there is no way to know how much you've cleared from the pump and tubing or how much is still contained within.

While the car was on the rear jack stands, I first took out the fill screw. No oil came out. Then I pulled the drain screw, drained the diff, replugged it, and refilled it. If anything there may be a bit more oil in the diff than when I started. One could always drop the car back to the ground, wiggle underneath and crack the fill screw to see if you drain any excess off.

I don't plan on doing that unless someone can convince me that 100ml too much oil in the diff will cause a problem. I've just driven 100 miles since the oil change and the diff is still working

***Just did some lurking in other forums. Looks like overfilling a diff can lead to oil leakage from the axle seals. It's usually solved by just emptying some oil out. However, people claim that jack angle won't allow you to severely overfill a diff. Mostly people have overfilling issues if they fill their diff while it's on their workbench and then reinstall it.

Last edited by spearfish25; 08-09-2009 at 09:04 PM.
spearfish25 is offline   Reply With Quote