View Single Post
Old 12-13-2011, 07:17 PM   #18 (permalink)
Nixlimited
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 15 GT-R / 11 Prius
Nixlimited has a reputation beyond reputeNixlimited has a reputation beyond reputeNixlimited has a reputation beyond reputeNixlimited has a reputation beyond reputeNixlimited has a reputation beyond reputeNixlimited has a reputation beyond reputeNixlimited has a reputation beyond reputeNixlimited has a reputation beyond reputeNixlimited has a reputation beyond reputeNixlimited has a reputation beyond reputeNixlimited has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike@GTM View Post
Injecting just water will only improve knock resistance. The methanol will lower intake air temperatures more than just water alone in addition to having a higher knock resistance than gasoline. Jordo and I had a good discussion in a different thread that went into more detail.

If you are doing water/methanol or just straight water, you MUST use DISTILLED water! Any dissolved solids will clog the injectors over time! Think about how often you have to clean/replace the aerator screen in your faucets at home...especially in SoCal where we have nasty, hard water that is barely potable. You do not want that dissolved lime and crap in your motor do you?
Just to be clear, my understanding is that injecting water should improve knock resistance and lower IAT as well as allow you to (in theory at least) run a leaner AFR since you can replace fuel with water for cylinder cooling. Water has a significantly higher specific heat capacity than any sort of fuel which makes it phenomenal for cooling (as compared to say gas). I definitely understand that you need to run distilled water only, but like I said, that's available anywhere and it's cheap. Meth mixes aren't.

Another consideration is the fact that meth is a fuel so *I believe* you have to tune the fueling more than with just water. With multiple maps this may not really be an issue, but I strongly prefer simplicity.

I do realize that you don't have the added power potential when you run just water and no meth, but my goal with a water injection system would be safety margin, not additional WHP. But that's just me.

In any event, congrats on the awesome build!