View Single Post
Old 12-13-2011, 01:21 PM   #6 (permalink)
Mandingo
Track Member

Drives: '10 370z 6spd
Mandingo has a reputation beyond reputeMandingo has a reputation beyond reputeMandingo has a reputation beyond reputeMandingo has a reputation beyond reputeMandingo has a reputation beyond reputeMandingo has a reputation beyond reputeMandingo has a reputation beyond reputeMandingo has a reputation beyond reputeMandingo has a reputation beyond reputeMandingo has a reputation beyond reputeMandingo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by wstar View Post
I think it would be hard to tell whether that was helping or hurting. It probably depends on the effective pressure differential between the main openings and the tube openings. They're both going to get a little pressure bump from being in nose cavity. If the tubes get more pressure than the main openings (or even the same really), I could easily see the sideways airflow from the tubes disrupting the flow of the main inlet and leading to overall loss. Could be that in the end it actually helps flow though. It's just sort of impossible to know unless you can replicate real conditions (XX mph airflow onto the whole face of the car) and actually measure the difference in airflow (MAF sensor maybe?).
Thats true. The whole time I was working on this I was thinking about how both inlets would have the same pressure being inside the nose. There could, however, be a difference in pressures at each inlet as you said. I know very little about fluid dynamics so I'm not sure how the sideways flow could affect the flow in the airbox at speed. I need a wind tunnel with a dyno inside

Like I said, I'm pretty skeptical when it comes to using the ole butt dyno. I must say though, it really doesn't feel like I've lost power anywhere. If anything, it seems a little stronger on the highway when trying to pass.