View Single Post
Old 12-12-2011, 06:28 PM   #1030 (permalink)
Motordyne
Enthusiast Member

Drives: Z
Motordyne is on a distinguished road
Default Production has started as of today 12/12/11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Footloose301 View Post
You need some driveby videos. That video doesn't do justice.
Yes, the mic's may be at or near being driven into clipping. The microphones were placed further away on the back window but wind noise became a problem. The only place where wind wasn't a problem was just above the back bumper.

Drivebys will be made ASAP.

I have not made comparative clips or dynos against other manufacturers systems but it will surely happen (independently) once released.

It was a long weekend of testing, swaping, comparing, listening, evaluating and recording.

And here is what I found.

Exhaust system development started on the 370Z with the Shockwave exhaust system. This was the first system.
Then many, many other entirely different configurations were tried. One of the objectives of developing a new exhaust was to try something entirely different and based entirely on Helmholtz side branch resonators for sound control.

The basis for sound control exclusively with side branch resonators was an extrapolation of the effective sound control as seen with ART pipes.
ART pipes are about 1/2 the loudness of regular test pipes so by this reasoning, side branch resonators were tried on an exhaust system using only side branch resonators. This was tried but it was too loud.

Many different variations of Helmholtz sidebranch resonators were tried in different locations and resonator frequencies/sizes.

What I found was sidebranch resonators control act pretty much the same way they affect the power curve. For ART pipes (or side branch resonators) to be effective on the dyno power curve, the resonator must be placed as close as possible to the engine.

As the resonator is placed further and further away from the engine, it has diminishing effect on the power curve.... and the same follows for sound control. Side branch resonators have less effect on sound control as they are placed further and further from the engine.

So while it would have been a very different exhaust system, it just didn't have enough sound control. Many R&D prototype parts and configurations were tried. Forward facing resonators, backward facing resonators, different merge collectors, different resonator locations. I'll post pics of the prototype parts.

It was finally concluded that a glass pack based muffler was mandatory for sufficient sound control and tone. Then multiple variations of glass pack mufflers were tried. A full parametric experimental sequence of tests. All new mufflers and experiments with existing muffler designs by using them in different ways. Forward facing, backward facing, different muffler types and locations. The simple act of flowing a single in dual out glass pack muffler forward or backwards completely changes the sound even though it dynos the same.

Some sounded really good. Some sounded really bad. So more and more prototypes were fabricated and tested. There were 2 good contenders for comparison.

Then finally, another variation was tried on the original 370Z Shockwave exhaust where the muffler was packed more tightly. I found this has the effect of better sound control at lower throttle positions yet makes for a more progressive sound as RPM increases. So it only took a minor change to the muffler packing to achieve the goal.

This system also had the best throttle response

The final result is that the R&D came around full circle. Of all the systems tried the Shockwave))) with a small tweak to the glass packing has the best sound, dyno results and throttle response when all the prototypes were compared side by side.

It took a ton of fabrication time and $$$ but this is the nature of R&D.

Production officially started this morning.
I will start a new thread with pictures when a clean production part comes off the production line.

The Motordyne Shockwave))) exhaust system is modular. The clip above is the loudest variation.
Options will include HFC's built into the midpipes and a full dual 3" version.

Pics will be posted in the new thread.
Motordyne is offline   Reply With Quote