View Single Post
Old 12-09-2011, 03:07 PM   #8 (permalink)
Jeffblue
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: Z32TT & 335xi Coupe
Jeffblue has a reputation beyond reputeJeffblue has a reputation beyond reputeJeffblue has a reputation beyond reputeJeffblue has a reputation beyond reputeJeffblue has a reputation beyond reputeJeffblue has a reputation beyond reputeJeffblue has a reputation beyond reputeJeffblue has a reputation beyond reputeJeffblue has a reputation beyond reputeJeffblue has a reputation beyond reputeJeffblue has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNKNOWN_370 View Post
Ok... on the Z34, my research has shown that 3" exhausts are best to run on turbos and come highly recommended. I don't know why the bigger exhaust is needed for the turbo. GThaus runs 2.25". I figured it has something to do with turbos needing less backpressure from the exhaust? That's my educated guess. If this is so? Would more backpressure from the exhaust make the turbo less efficient?
i'm not sure about this exhaust in particular. i have a 2.5" exhaust on my 300zx. 3" downpipes definitely help with spoolup, but after the testpipe (which on mine are 3" to 2.5") there are definitely some top end gains to be had, but that comes with a lot of added noise. a lot of people i know with 300zx's get 3" exhaust then hate it after a while and switch back to 2.5"
Jeffblue is offline   Reply With Quote