View Single Post
Old 12-09-2011, 01:11 AM   #85 (permalink)
FL 4Motion
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: Baby Shark
FL 4Motion has a reputation beyond reputeFL 4Motion has a reputation beyond reputeFL 4Motion has a reputation beyond reputeFL 4Motion has a reputation beyond reputeFL 4Motion has a reputation beyond reputeFL 4Motion has a reputation beyond reputeFL 4Motion has a reputation beyond reputeFL 4Motion has a reputation beyond reputeFL 4Motion has a reputation beyond reputeFL 4Motion has a reputation beyond reputeFL 4Motion has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamu View Post
Don't get me wrong my Porsches are driven on regular basis. I'm just more emotionally attached to Porsches and worry about them more. In reality boxsters are mid $40k throw aways too. However I bought a pristine 99 Boxster for $8500. I cared more for that Porsche than I do the newer 370z. There is something about nice German sheet metal, sexy lines, etc that is just more attractive than the Nissan. It has nothing to do with price of entry frankly.

I feel sorry for anyone who pays over $40k for a 370z. My 2010 Nismo was mid $30s new off showroom floor. Heck a well optioned Chevy 2500 HD pickup truck is more than that! I just wanted a nice new reliable commuter for my 100 mile a day drive through mountains that would be fun and take abuse. I have had good luck with my Nissans as high mileage beaters I drove a 280zx and 240sx into ground, have over 100,000 on 350z roadster currently.

I'm just more motivated to keep the Porsches more pristine regardless of price. My other Porsche recently was a 36000 original mile 1974 914. I babied that car. And I only spent $5000 on that one. I never washed that car and waxed it every month. My 370z goes to pay car wash and I scrub it down with a brush with no hesitation just like my truck. Heck man a cheap entry level Lexus cost more than my Z. I look at the Z as a cheap newer car that has limited life. I wouldn't desire 370z 10 years from now like I would an older Porsche. hence throw away stays for me. I'm pretty clear what car means to me. It's a great performance bargain and snazzy looking but already seems to look dated.

I'm not much for Italian cars as I actually drive my cars. Although I have always fancied owning a Pantera I don't like flash of expensive cars. Most of my cars are throw aways. I had a cool Toyota Echo that reminds me of the Z but the Echo was dirt cheap $9k off the lot new! Oh and it got 36 mpg. It was pretty fast ax car too! It was actually a toss up when I was shopping. New Toyota Yaris that I would mod like crazy with blower etc or a Z that i leave fairly stockish.
/\ that part made me I get what you are saying though Shamu. I am more attached to my nismo and plan to keep it for 6-10years, but you view yours more like a tool, it has a purpose (and a shelf life) and then it's on to the next one.
FL 4Motion is offline   Reply With Quote