View Single Post
Old 12-07-2011, 02:27 PM   #15 (permalink)
kenchan
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: N/A
kenchan has a reputation beyond reputekenchan has a reputation beyond reputekenchan has a reputation beyond reputekenchan has a reputation beyond reputekenchan has a reputation beyond reputekenchan has a reputation beyond reputekenchan has a reputation beyond reputekenchan has a reputation beyond reputekenchan has a reputation beyond reputekenchan has a reputation beyond reputekenchan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfearl1 View Post
Is it fairly inexpensive and easy to access? Can you fix this in the parking lot outside of work if it ever seizes? Wouldn't be a bad part to keep in your glove compartment.

OR, just fix it with the updated unit as soon as you get it lol
the unit cost about $500. it would be a pretty clumsy repair to do in the field as you will need to remove the bottom cover under the steering column, most-likely remove the bottom bracket, remove 2 security bolts... but doable i thinks. since i know now that mine has the affected 'bad' revision lock im going to just replace it in my garage.

im going to be using different screws on mine though as i dont want to use the security bolts (need 2 sold separately) where the hex breaks off after it's torqued. be too much of a hassle to redo in the field if the new one fails.

Im going to keep a little kit in my Z with the 'old' lock as backup and some tools to use to do the work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedZ View Post
Thanks for explaining Kenchan.
np!