View Single Post
Old 12-07-2011, 07:41 AM   #1 (permalink)
ImportConvert
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 2019 CX5 GT Reserve
ImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond repute
Default 7A Transmission...dare I commit heresy?

I watched a few Youtubes and the 7A transmission looks like it can be controlled pretty easily. I no-longer can argue "Well, the manual allows more control" without feeling like a liar. It really doesn't for all intents and purposes.

I cannot shift as fast as an automatic.

I have owned a '95 Trans Am with an automatic and that broke me of ever owning one in a sports car again. When I beat on it some in 100* weather, it would get hot and start shifting mushily. At the "breaking point" between 3rd and 4th, if you were REEEAAALLLYYY gentle on the throttle, it would bounce between tq converter lock-up/4th/3rd unlocked. It made for a bumpy embarrassing and probably wear-inducing moment.

This isn't 1995. The 2012 370Z transmission is a lot better I am sure.

My question is this: Have any of you gone from manual to automatic and liked it better? I don't mean you lazy people who can't be troubled to shift. I do that without thinking. I mean from a feel/performance/"hey, this is so much quicker/more precise" standpoint?

I am against the auto because I feel that it will disconnect me from the driving experience. However, the 7A in the 370z is about as good as an auto gets without being a true DCT, and I cannot deny that it is indeed faster.

Also, has anyone tracked the auto? Does it overheat without the addition of another cooler? I hated that about my '95 Trans Am. It was good for maybe 2-3 WOT blasts in 100* heat and then you had to simmer down. My manuals...I just drive and drive and drive them.

Also, how is it when cold? My G20 has an auto (one of the shittiest known to man...) and if it's below 80* outside if I get on it before it is FULLY warmed up, it will hang between gears, shifting VEERRRRYYYY slow and I am sure tearing up the clutch bands as it rides 2nd and 3rd on the upshift until it FINALLY oozes on into 3rd. No, I am not talking about flogging it, I mean just pulling out into traffic and giving it enough gas to not gear rear-ended. Shifting at about 4500rpm (pretty low for the gutless stock SR20DE).

So...

...what quirks about the 7A would tick me off? Throttle delay even worse than the "drive-by-wire" in use with 99% of cars now? Delay on the freeway when stomping it in D? Not skipping gears when floored in 7th to a 3rd drop? Shift flare? Sluggish shifting when cold? Overheating on track-days without an additional cooler?

How does it feel in "manual"? You floor it and it's an instant connection like the stick, or the tq converter soaks up the "hit" and it feels sluggish from say, a 50mph punch compared to a manual?
ImportConvert is offline   Reply With Quote