View Single Post
Old 12-31-2008, 03:31 PM   #1 (permalink)
caj77
Base Member

Drives: 911
caj77 is on a distinguished road
Default The *REAL* official 370Z test drive thread

My dealership has know I wanted one since early December. Thought they were supposed to be in next week yet I got a call at 10am 12/30 from dealer saying they just got 3 in! Well, I drove em' baby!

Regardless of the fact they were still covered in plastic (inside & out), I was able to drive both M & A/T, Touring & Base. It is important to note that the only way you get the synchro-match M/T is if you opt for the Performance Package...stripped Base M/T is not the synchro-match tranny. Both Dealer & I were surprised by this finding...

I may be a bit bias since my 1st car was a 1974 240Z, had a 1994 300ZXTT & 2004 350Z but I have also owned a 2002 Porsche 911 and driven every sports car under the sun...so...

The 370Z is awesome. Simple as that. They brought the suede interior door back as well as the seats wrap around you. Push button start (no need to insert key, keep it in your pocket) is a blast as well. Fit & finish is much more attractive...its got leather all over the place, less plastic and more style.

1. M/T - incredible. Super soft clutch pedal (which I dont care for), easy short throws, REAL tight and zero slop. Now the real fun part...downshifting. It does what they say it does...pulling 6K on the tach in 5th, drop her in 4th - she roars to 7500 and eases into gear! Its insane! I must have said "wow" 100 times. 1st gear is a bit short but the car pulls all the way around the dial...

2. A/T - Im not a fan of tiptronic transmissions unless its the BMW SMG. I need that instant "slam" into gear...unlike Porsche's 5 min (exaggerated of course) engagement of gear...but...the 370's is good/good+. Slow speeds (slow meaning "normal" driving speed) its got some lag like the Porsche...hammer the right pedal from a stop and walk through the 7 speeds with "as close to instant as a converter will allow"...downshifts get the same "blip" of juice as the M/T...I found myself hitting the paddles up/down, up/down just to hear the engine. In tip mode the car DOES hold the gear until you shift...not like a Slaab, I mean Saab and shift for you.

3. Issues - we couldnt figure out where the iPod jack is on music box.

I am waiting a month or two till dealers cant sell it for sticker then I am getting a M/T with synchro.

Again, the 370Z is sick, I love it - looks & all. I have been waiting for the right car, almost bought another 911 but glad I lost a ton in market & didnt buy it...this is my car!
caj77 is offline   Reply With Quote