View Single Post
Old 08-07-2009, 06:28 PM   #8 (permalink)
gnarf
Base Member

Drives: G37
gnarf is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mook View Post
Actually, am selling MS3 and all set on buying 370Z.. Instead of reading all the trigger happy fan boy off-topic tirades, take a look at the actual posts.

MS3 obviously is not a better car than 370Z. And my first post deals with all the shortcomings (steering feel, cheap transmission, fwd, top end drop off, etc).

If you really want to be anal about it, the "feel" is all about the torque, which is the ability to change speed, not in the HP, which is ability to maintain speed.
We have 280 lb torque @ 3000 rpm for MS3 vs 270lb @ 5200 for the Z.

Besides, the top hp in the Z comes at 7000, MS3 - much earlier @ 5,500 rpm. The gearing may also be a bit too tall in the Z contributing to the lack of low end "power feel".

To top it all, ms3 can be about 200lb lighter.

If you don't think 200lb is a big deal - put your mother in law in your trunk and drive around.

Put it all together, and on a straight line from a rolling start you get more excitement out of MS3. Now, if you actually enjoy getting creative in turns once in a while - there is no comparison. Drag race, same thing. Almost any tight RWD car has a huge advantage.

All in all at about 4000 rpm the 2 cars may feel about equally powerful but one has more weight.

Take a look at this comparo that I just found: Winding Road Magazine | Issue 46 - page 146 ("for the starters 370Z did not actually 'feel' that much faster than any of the others... The engine is adequately powerful, but doesn't feel as willing to rev or as potent as the horsepower numbers might lead you to believe...") Of course, they go on to say that 370Z is the best overall car, no doubt about it.

I don't understand why it's suddenly offensive to talk about shortcomings of a car. But hey, if everyone is so offended - I will go away.
dude i dont get this post at all...what are you trying to imply...you want to buy a 370z..but you give me an essay on how awesome the torque and power comes out sooner in the MS3, how its lighter, and then you take an article describing the lack of feel in the Z...i know you are trying to give me an understanding...and I know as a prospective owner you have the need to know the Z's shortcomings...but bringing up these negative posts while NOT being a Z owner will only turn you away from buying a 370z..Im sure youll be impressed once you own a Z...but hey if its not for you..there are plenty of choices that will fit your needs..
gnarf is offline   Reply With Quote