View Single Post
Old 11-28-2011, 07:11 AM   #7 (permalink)
CAN8IAN
Base Member

Drives: 11 370z M6 (sold)
CAN8IAN is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJB View Post
I read this from a online source about car paint :

"Plastic bumpers will always change color especially in metallic colors. The plastic has a static charge and the metallic paint will settle different than on the sheet metal parts, causing pigment floatation that will shift the color darker or lighter. The other reason is surface temperature, if the sheet metal is colder, the bumper will look lighter, if the sheet metal is hotter than the bumper, the color on the bumper will look darker. The third reason is flex additive. If the clearcoat is applied on the bumper with a flex additive, it will shift the color slightly"

^Now I understand that is metallic, but same goes with Pearls.
I recently went to a reputable body shop here in town to get the holes the damn dealer drilled into my bumper for the front plates patched up and resprayed. I asked them if they would have trouble color matching and they pretty much said that color matching on a 3 stage paint like Pearl White is tough, but the problem lies with the bumper being a different material then that of the rest of the car. Pretty much everything I quoted above is what they told me.

Anyways, I told the shop a lot of guys with Z cars, especially ones with PW have this mis matched paint problem. I was told it isn't just Nissan but just about every car manufacturer especially with lighter colors like PW.
That is completely accurate. My white diamond pearl TL had the same issue and it irritated the hell outta me to notice such a distinct difference between the plastic and metal colours...it looked like it had been repainted and I considered it a major flaw. I will not buy white again.
CAN8IAN is offline   Reply With Quote