View Single Post
Old 11-23-2011, 11:18 AM   #11 (permalink)
SPOHN
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: Waiting on next Z
SPOHN has a reputation beyond reputeSPOHN has a reputation beyond reputeSPOHN has a reputation beyond reputeSPOHN has a reputation beyond reputeSPOHN has a reputation beyond reputeSPOHN has a reputation beyond reputeSPOHN has a reputation beyond reputeSPOHN has a reputation beyond reputeSPOHN has a reputation beyond reputeSPOHN has a reputation beyond reputeSPOHN has a reputation beyond repute

Yea they all have the SS braided lines. But Z1 also offers another type of sheath that heat shrinks over the SS lines for even more protection. I didn't really want the SS lines themselves rubbing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wstar View Post
I used Stillen's kit, including their lines, which have the steel-braided sheath on the outside like many. I did like you mentioned above: I ziptied some protective rubber over the pair of hoses everywhere they could rub, esp where they contact other lines (power steering), frame/body, etc. A slit section of large diameter heater hose is great for that.

And as for failure risk, IMHO if your system develops a weak point (a fitting or hose getting weak somewhere), seems like the most likely time to blow it would be a cold morning startup in the winter off the track, those are really the highest PSI, and the fittings and sheathing are super cold at the time as well (more brittle, and slightly shrunk). On the other hand with a thermo plate that may mitigate *some* of the extra pressure spike on cold start, but certainly not by a lot (it's just going to be more of a static pressure without a lot of flow once things level out).