View Single Post
Old 11-21-2011, 03:06 PM   #107 (permalink)
awkwardturtle
Base Member

Drives: 07 Civic SI
awkwardturtle is on a distinguished road

Hey phunk,

maybe you can answer some of my questions since this build thread is exactly the direction I want to move in, and you seem extremely knowledgeable on this stuff.

How is the power delivery of this kit? I can't seem to find which turbos greddy uses for this kit - is one turbo small for responsiveness, and the other large for power? Or are they both the same? I ask because I drive a turbo'd honda civic right now, and I absolutely _HATE_ the power delivery of it. Here's a printoff of my last buttdyno (in black, red line is what I'd like in a car).

My car is essentially a light-switch car. It's slow, slow, slow.. then at 4k the turbo snaps in and it instantly doubles in horsepower. It's not a fun delivery of power, and it just results in wheelspin. Is a TT'd Z any smoother, or does it have the same effect? I would suspect it's a bit smoother being a larger motor that can get the turbos spinning sooner, but who knows. I wasn't expecting this kind of on/off power when I bought the kit, but I can only blame myself for not doing a bit more research.

Also, what's the WG pressure on that kit? I'm wondering how effective boost by gear would be on these cars? Another thing I really hate about my car is I effectively got rid of 1st and 2nd gear - they're nothing but spin gears. I really miss having the ability to romp around town in my car, as it's only a highway beast now. I'd imagine if this kit had a very small WG spring in it (3-4 psi?), you could just run that in 1st and progressively amp it up from there?

Thirdly, any input/experience with that racelogic traction unit? I think if I do get a Z and go this route, which is the most likely choice at this point in time, I want to run a consistent ~500 rwhp, but I'd like to have traction when doing so. To me, that's worth the 2+ grand the traction unit costs, but only if it's actually effective.

Thanks for any help If it's of any consolation for the long post you just read, if I do go this route, I would feel most comfortable making the 5 hr trek to Chicago to have you install/tune it over what I have available here.
awkwardturtle is offline   Reply With Quote