Thread: blind spot --
View Single Post
Old 11-21-2011, 07:57 AM   #67 (permalink)
RiCharlie
Track Member

Drives: 370 Touring Spt A/t
RiCharlie is just really niceRiCharlie is just really niceRiCharlie is just really niceRiCharlie is just really niceRiCharlie is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack370Z View Post
I just run the right side mirror as far out as it will go then I installed a small rectangular convex mirror in the lower left corner...it seems to cover the blind spot ok. No problems on the left side...when an approaching car leaves the rearview it appears in my left side mirror, I do still take a quick look over my left shoulder before I merge left. My problem is in parking lots backing out of a space. I've found if I move the passenger seat forward a little and use the little window I can see down the lane as soon as possible for the right side but I still feel I can't see a car coming soon enough. I guess you gotta figure there is only six feet of car when backing out...maybe less. I don't like the feeling but I'm not gonna quit taking the Z to the store...
Jack

Let me give you my experience

I put the extra mirror on the left side. I put the large left mirror out just far enough so I can see the side of my car when I move my head a bit to the left..if I put it further out another car could be close behind to the left and out of sight if the mirror is too far out. My way does leave a blind spot on the far left so I put the small mirror on the lower right part of the mirror. It provides a wide angle view which I need mainly when I am entering a highway because the car is pointed in such a way as to leave a blind spot to cars already on the highway.
( hell!! a diagram would make this all so much easier!) Our ways do seem to both deal with the problem effectively in two opposite ways. I might try yours just to see..Thanks for the idea..

I found that putting a small mirror on the right hand side doesnt work because the mirror is on the other side of the car and this added distance means the cars appear so small they can barely be seen. I had one there and it created a false sense of security for me. And moving the passenger seat is a problem when you have a passenger with you..

A real problem occurs when I am traveling down a road and it intersects with another road on the right but not at a 90 degree angle.. but something less almost like merging ..very difficult to see the on coming cars. Then I need that little window and even then its risky especially if there is a passenger in the car.
That's when I ask the passenger to check and I check my insurance policy!!

What do you think?

Charlie

Last edited by RiCharlie; 11-21-2011 at 08:02 AM.
RiCharlie is offline   Reply With Quote