View Single Post
Old 11-18-2011, 01:01 AM   #12 (permalink)
FL 4Motion
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: Baby Shark
FL 4Motion has a reputation beyond reputeFL 4Motion has a reputation beyond reputeFL 4Motion has a reputation beyond reputeFL 4Motion has a reputation beyond reputeFL 4Motion has a reputation beyond reputeFL 4Motion has a reputation beyond reputeFL 4Motion has a reputation beyond reputeFL 4Motion has a reputation beyond reputeFL 4Motion has a reputation beyond reputeFL 4Motion has a reputation beyond reputeFL 4Motion has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by m4a1mustang View Post
The sales numbers on the Z certainly have to call into question any next generation at all. Nissan accepted the Z project on the assumption of 30k unit sales in the first year. It's been three years now and the cumulative total of Zs sold has just hit that goal.

Given economic conditions a 2 seat sports car in the $30-45k range is a tough sell. Especially when you have stiff competition from other potentially more practical cars that go for roughly the same price. This has to be weighing on the minds of the bean counters at Nissan. They know we are in for a long and jobless economic recovery here in the US, so they know selling Zs as they are now would likely be a tough sell for at least the next 5 years.

I tend to think the Z will either be cancelled after the 370's final model year, or the next generation will be some sort of hybrid. Something to differentiate from the competition and help advance the brands green initiatives. We all know the world is heading the way of alternatively fueled vehicles, so this would be a good time for Nissan to get ahead of the curve with the Z and offer the first affordable hybrid sports car to the public. They did something similar in 1969 when they brought us the first truly affordable everyman's sports car.

But who knows what will happen. We are only 3 years into the 370. The 350Z went for 7 years if you include the 2009 roadster. The Z32 went for something like 11 years in Japan and 6 in the US. So the 370 could still have 3+ model years ahead of it. Nissan could be planning just to make as many as they can sell for now and if the world looks like it's changing for the better in a year or two maybe they will reevaluate and decide what they want to do for a next generation car.

All we know is that the future is very uncertain for the Z, especially considering it's in a difficult spot right now. Stiff competition and a crappy economy can really make life tough on a sports car.
I agree about the next gen Z very likely being some sort of hybrid everyman sports car. I'm not opposed to that at all if they can keep the driving dynamics and power up to par, the extra mpg would be a nice bonus.

This gen Z will probably go until 2014, maybe 2015 (6-7 years seems normal for this cars lifecycle). If we're lucky, the last couple years will get DI assuming the G gets it. That could provide a small bump in hp and mpg. Other than that, I suspect very little if any improvements since the car doesn't sell well.

Then most likely a few years off, and then the intro of the first hybrid affordable sports car--ie the new Z35.

I can't see the Z taking a permanent vacation simply b/c of the hole left in Nissan's lineup, it's a big jump from maxima to GTR not only in price but in sporting persona. Then again, the GTR bows out in 2016 or so, right after the Z most likely will.

Perhaps Nissan is just going to start sucking like Honda and Toyata (at least until the FT 86 comes out, maybe they won't suck quite as bad) and just focus on boring people movers. That gives the Americans the lock on affordable fun sports/performance vehicles in every category, would be a shame if that comes to pass.
FL 4Motion is offline   Reply With Quote