View Single Post
Old 08-06-2009, 05:23 PM   #12 (permalink)
madweazl
Base Member

Drives: 06 GTO Orange M6
madweazl is on a distinguished road

My basis was that the stronger street manuals are good for about 650hp (such as the Tremec found in the Vette, Viper, Camaro, and GT500). Beyond that you need an auto (now you're looking at something that can hold 1500hp rather inexpensively). On a road corse, I'd want a manual or, the ability to manually shift an auto provided it added reliability in the form of holding more hp (a product of the smoother power application granted by the torque converter).

On the drag strip (the only racing I would probably be doing), the auto will provide more consistent times than a driver of a manual would be able to accomplish (a plus for me). If it's capable of holding more power than the manual (typical of most of transmissions out there), that is another plus.

My current car is a manual (and so were the 5 prior to it), I enjoy manuals but that is only because I want to make the decisions on what gear I'm in and for how long; the Z's auto gives me that capability.

My goal would be 450-500hp. At that level, both options are going to require aftermarket components (six of one, have a dozen of the other...). I'll contact some shops to see what they have to say I guess.

Last edited by madweazl; 08-06-2009 at 05:25 PM.
madweazl is offline   Reply With Quote