View Single Post
Old 11-17-2011, 12:13 PM   #40 (permalink)
sapsec
Base Member

Drives: 2010 370z Touring
sapsec is on a distinguished road

While it might happen to younger people (under 30) it also happens to us over 30. My wife and I stopped at a Chevy dealer in her Mini so I could test drive a 'Vette. I'm 37, make six figures and speak relatively intelligently.

The salesman was almost downright rude in answering my questions like he had better things to do and didn't believe I could afford the car. I know a lot about cars and especially the ones I am thinking of purchasing. It obviously rankled his double knit JC Penny trousers that I knew more about the car than he did.

We spent 20 minutes or so looking over and talking about the car- At this point all I wanted was to drive it as I had never driven a "Vette before. He didn't seem that interested in me test driving it, only talking about numbers. Any time I asked about the test drive, he would ignore my question and steer the conversation back to the numbers.

I'm a nice guy but can only take so much sh#4 from a salesmen. Finally took the car out on the road and really liked it. While driving it occurred to me that every time I stopped at the dealership for service, I would see him and want to beat the crap out of him for the attitude. So, my wife and I left, drove down the road three blocks where I bought a new Z.

The next day the Chevy salesmen called to check in and see if I was still interested in the "Vette. I said nicely but firmly, "Nope, your attitude aggravated me and offended me to the point where I am no longer interested in your product or dealership."

Not all salesmen are like this but I think the majority are. Porsche dealerships are the worst. When I bought my Cayman, after signing the paperwork I seriously considered driving into the dealership, hitting a few salesmen and calling a cab home.
sapsec is offline   Reply With Quote